About North Winnipeg Credit Union
NWCU started as a credit union that only offered savings accounts, now growing to a full service financial institution offering such services as loans, RRSP's, youth accounts, internet and telephone banking. In 2007, the credit union opened its second branch at 1068 Henderson Highway. This expansion not only increased our product and service offerings, but added an extra element of convenience for our members.
North Winnipeg Credit Union was formed in May 1943, being the second Ukrainian credit union in Winnipeg. The initiative for establishing it came from members of the North Winnipeg Cooperative. The credit union was to service the financial needs of this cooperative and, hence, derives its name from it.
The financial statements dated December 31, 1943 showed total assets of $133.25 with a total membership of 15. In 70 years we have matured into a credit union of over 3,500 members and associates with total assets of over $86 million.
History of our Logo
Our logo combines symbols that represent the membership we serve.
The maple leaf motif and the blue and gold colours are symbolic of our commitment to the Ukrainian community in Canada.
The central yellow motif is reminiscent of the open hands in the universal symbol for credit unions. It reminds us that we belong to the credit union movement of "people helping people".
The outline of the upper blue motif is reminiscent of the trident ("tryzub"), the historical emblem of the Ukrainian nation.
COPYRIGHT © 2008 NWCU